Thursday, December 24, 2009

On The Road Again...


                                                               At the beach with my sister 


        Hello wonderful people! I am back on board from a two month hiatus. After starting on the good foot, I had surgery on the other one, ha (pun intended). It was minor surgery, but surgery none the less. I am very much a physically active person and I love working out at home or at the gym and enjoy being as mobile as possible. The reality of what I was actually getting into did not set in until I was on the operating table and that's when I realized "oh, this is surgery". I am so used to bouncing back from anything that I do, that the post-surgery reality didn't sink in either until day two of me lying in the bed unable to walk... yes I did not walk for five days, unbelievable! That is what catapulted the actual start of the Artistry of Health Blog. The idea was already there but now I had the time to create it with no excuses, I just had to hop to my studio to use the computer.


         So between then and now, I went back to the 9-5 and spent the remainder of the month searching and looking at apartments (shout out to to Tiffany for walking at snails pace with me the whole time!), and actually moving in. For most people that I know who have had the surgery, I am having the most speedy recovery. Could I attribute that to mentally not wanting to feel and be so dependent and having the will to do so? Since I was going to the gym regularly attending boot camp, could my body handle op and post-op better? I could concur that it was these things, but by no means has it been mentally or spiritually easy. For a quick moment I understood what it is like to not be able to use your body to full capacity. Now after walking for 20 minutes, I have to sit and rest, but indeed, I can walk.

                                                                                The opposite foot pre-surgery        


           In my case, having to have the surgery was in my opinion partially hereditary. Take one look at my feet and you see my mom's and grandmother's feet. Not really appearing deformed, there was much pain and aggravation, to the point it had been affecting me at least since 2005 when a college friend reminded me that I spoke of the issue even then. Though I looove a great pair of high heel leather boots, which I buy a new pair every winter/fall, I only where heels and shoes on occasion. I have even been accused by my students of not owning any because I wear kicks so much. In later research that I did post surgery, I came across this website: http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/mpacms/at/article.php?id=28075 . It discusses the relationship between bunions, sugar, and the spleen. Of course too much of anything is not good, and a high consumption of sugar is connected to inflammations in various areas of the body, and the article details how it is connected to bunions. Could my infamous sweet tooth be the cause as well? My instinct tells me yes. Could I have prevented surgery and most of all inflammation had I moderated my sugar intake? My instinct says yes. There have been times when I cleansed and/or regulated how much sugar was in my diet and inflammations of every kind simmered down.

Always preferring to take the non-medical and non-medicinal route, having the surgery is something I still ponder about mainly because I did not research all my options, "alternative" methods of treating the bunion,or seeking a podiatrist who would inform me of other options pre-surgery. Now that i have been taking the time to help my foot heal correctly, here are some resources in regards to bunions, surgery, and "alternative" methods (both eastern and western):

products for correcting bunions -


General bunion information -




Health Thyself!
With Love,
Nicole


No comments: